As part of its strategy to increase the sustainability and competitiveness of international rugby, World Rugby wishes to appoint a High Performance Fifteens Match Official Manager.
The role of the High Performance Fifteens Match Official Manager is to manage the World Rugby High Performance Fifteens Match Official programme ensuring that best practice talent identification, performance management and selection processes are implemented for World Rugby match official appointments to elite international matches and tournaments including Rugby World Cup.
- Develop HP match official performance management and selection strategies for consideration by the World Rugby Match Official Selection Committee and Rugby Committee.
- Manage the World Rugby Selection Process in conjunction with the Chairman of the Selection Committee ensuring that the Selectors have sufficient data and information to facilitate the selection of Referees, Assistant Referees and Television Match Officials for elite international matches and tournaments.
- Communicate the decisions of the Selection Committee to Union match official managers and HP match officials.
- Implement best practice performance review processes to ensure that match official performances are thoroughly reviewed and development needs are identified.
- Review performances of HP match officials nominated for World Rugby appointments and provide performance feedback to match officials and the appropriate Union match official managers.
- Manage the World Rugby Match Official Data Base for HP match official performance planning and review.
- Ensure consistent Match Official performances at international level and adherence to the performance protocols and policies as agreed by the Rugby Committee.
- Liaise with and maintain close working relationships with coaches of elite international teams to ensure that current World Rugby HP match official policies and protocols are communicated effectively and that match official performances are reviewed in a transparent manner.
- Manage match official teams at World Rugby Fifteens Tournaments including developing selection criteria, selection processes, logistics and performance management systems ensuring consistency of performance to meet the needs of the respective tournaments.
- In conjunction with the World Rugby Match Official Selection Committee utilise World Rugby Tournaments to identify match officials with the potential to officiate at the elite international level.
- Support the Law Review Group and Technical Services department in advising on trends in the game and potential Law amendments and trials.
- Actively support various World Rugby established working groups e.g. TMO Working Group.
- Report regularly to the World Rugby Council and Rugby Committee ensuring that the World Rugby HP match official policies and protocols are consistent with the needs of the elite Game and that match official performances meet the standards required in the modern professional Game.
- Manage HP match official conferences and workshops to ensure that World Rugby provides leadership in the officiating of elite international matches and World Rugby tournaments through facilitating the implementation of the agreed outcomes.
- Manage the HP Fifteens Match Official budget effectively and prepare annual budget submissions for approval by EXCO.
- Contribute to the integration of World Rugby education and performance pathways through developing ideas, writing modules or presenting training sessions.
- Liaise with the Communications Department and the Chairman of the Selection Committee with regard to media issues relating to World Rugby HP match official appointments and performances.
Key Skills and Attributes
- Capacity to work in an elite sporting environment
- Demonstrates an understanding of Rugby at the elite level
- Detailed knowledge of the Laws of the Game
- Educated to tertiary level
- A high level of organisational and management skills
- Strong facilitation and leadership skills
- Excellent written and oral communication / presentation skills
- A high level of operational IT competency
- Highly developed interpersonal and people management skills
- Ability to cope with cultural diversity
- Project management skills
- Excellent report writing skills
- Tact, diplomacy and assertiveness when required
- Knowledge of organisational decision making processes
- Manage the selection process for the World Rugby HP Fifteens match official appointments.
- Advise the World Rugby Match Official Selection Committee on HP referee performances and appointments.
- Establish best practice high performance planning and monitoring systems for elite refereeing.
- Implement talent identification strategies for the World Rugby HP referee pathway
- Facilitate conferences and workshops involving World Rugby HP Referees, Union Referee managers and HP coaching staff ensuring that elite refereeing continues in the strategic direction as agreed by World Rugby Council.
- Organise the match official logistics for World Rugby Tournaments including Rugby World Cup.
- Establish and maintains relationships with all HP match officials, Union match official staff and National Team coaches with regard to World Rugby appointed match official selections and performances.
- Participate in World Rugby working groups as required relating to the laws and technical aspects of the Game.
- Present reports on World Rugby match official selection and performances to relevant World Rugby Committees.
- Operate in challenging multi- cultural environments demonstrating high levels of tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to deal with the media in a professional and confident manner.
Please forward applications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than COB Friday, 29th January 2016